Tuesday, June 28, 2005

With a Sigh

Mere moments ago I submitted my last assignment for Corporate Finance. Due to a strange fluke of scheduling, our instructor had assignments still due AFTER the final exam was to be turned in.

To date, Corporate Finance has been my hardest class.

The final exam took me 15 hours to complete.

For the past two nights I have cried myself to sleep.

Caleb consoled me as best as he could...which included letting me know that I wasn't a stupid moron because I couldn't figure out how to calculate the weighted average cost of capital.

I, like my government, am not able to balance a checkbook. Formulas are an enigma to me, my brain just cannot comprehend unless I am literally guided step-by-step.

I do not think I will pass this class. And that really bothers me because 1. Classes are expensive, 2. It will push my graduation date farther away...to some undeterminable date. 3. Just because it ticks me off that I don't understand.

This is a weakness. I finally figured it out...I got the message.

It is something that I cannot conquer right away, or with any type of ease. This is where my Jack-of-all-trades ability comes to a screeching halt.

As a result of my college courses I have learned some other facts about myself. For instance...I cannot write well during the day. Not unless it is extremely quiet, and that is such a rare occurence...so night time is the right time for writing.

I have also learned that I cannot even begin to attempt to do anything with numbers at night. I have to have sunshine feeding my brain in order for me to look at numbers with any type of recognition. I'm like a solar calculator. Though, I only have numbers. If you want me to figure out what to do with them...you bought the wrong calculator.

Hindsight being 20/20 I should not have taken my morning job prior to finishing this class. Morning=quiet=numbers. That is MY formula.

As I said, I don't think I will pass this class, I'll find out in 2 days.

However, at least I can say that I turned in all the work...and for now--it's over.

...I sooo want to down this box of raisinets.

6 Comments:

At 16:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Step AWAY from the raisinets!!

Back...away...slowly...

No, you're not a moron. I looked at your book, if you'll remember, during my visit and was pretty blown away by what was in there and impressed that you could tackle even one of those questions. I know I couldn't, so my hat's off to you.

And, if all else fails, remember this famous quote: If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried in the first place. ;P

Seriously, one way or another you'll get to your goal.

 
At 20:42, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

I'm going to have a text book burning event...

 
At 10:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure that you did better than you think. That stuff is hard for everybody and I am sure you are not the only person in your class who struggled to understand the material. If you are having a text burning event, I will gladly contribute my commercial paper book.

Ginny

 
At 11:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the formula is actually Numbers+(Morning+quiet) = success.

Don't hate me.

 
At 11:11, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

...there is no need for parenthesis unless you intend to muliply...I hate that I know that.

 
At 13:57, Blogger AfricaBleu said...

Kassi,
You are a good writer, and EVERYONE KNOWS that writers are handicapped mathmaticaly.

It's a scientific fact, I'm sure.
So don't despair; you're not SUPPOSED to get math...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home