Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Rhapsody in K Major

Thinking about yesterday makes me feel abundant.

Abundantly loved.
Abundantly blessed.
Abundantly happy.
Abundantly content.
Abundantly special.

The lists could go on.













I woke up yesterday and put on my favorite sweater. The one that reminds me that when I was a little girl my favorite color was red. And now that I am older, I have grown quite fond of pink.
We dropped off the human snoog at my cousin's house and attended to a necessary appointment. I spied a pink car sitting by itself while Caleb took Kimi inside and realized that this was going to be a great day.

For the first time in months, I started to feel true excitement.


Zac called to inform that he wasn't feeling well, so we picked up some pepto and brought it his school. I would have let him come home, but lately the kids have been "calling in sick" over the slightest ailments...so I decided to make him tough it out.
I felt guilty at first...but when I got home later in the afternoon, he had of course made a miraculous recovery...

Caleb took the day off of work, so after dropping Kimi off at daycare, we proceeded to Zoup for a quick yet warm lunch. It was a bitterly cold day. But all the better for eating hot soup.

After lunch, we decided [together] that we needed to take the opportunity of this time to get some
Christmas shopping done. I love going to Toys-R-Us. I still love looking at toys. I love shopping for toys for my kids.

And undoubtedly, I always find something that I like. I rarely leave a toy store without buying something small to satiate that greedy little kid in me.
Yesterday I found Sir Polka-Dot Pants. Who can resist a raven haired Barbarian on Horseback?
Not I.

After our Christmas shopping was done...we went over to
the mall. Caleb had been mentioning going to my favorite mall for the past two days, so I knew that he had something planned. He mentioned unhindered shopping, so OF COURSE I was game.

He asked me to close my eyes as he lead me through. It was actually really interesting, and disconcerting at the same time. On one hand, I had the constant feeling that I was going to walk right into something, but on the other hand, the smells of cinnamon, perfumes, and the sounds of happy people shopping and the music made it rather enjoyable. Besides, leaning into Caleb as he guided me was nice as well.

When he finally told me to open my eyes I was standing in front of the Build-a-Bear store! I had never been in to make a bear for myself...so it took some time to choose. But finally, I was united with my very own Bunni-Bear. I love her style...and she roars like a lion. Her motto is "I am bunny, hear me roar". (note the black high tops)

Then in true chocolate-lover fashion we headed straight to Godiva and picked up the most delumpcious thing E.V.E.R. Chocolate covered raspberry cups. Need I say more?

After that, we went to Bath and Body works, where I 1. replenshed my favorite body splash, and 2. put something on my list for future consideration...pink and white marshmallow puffs.

Later (and this is the very good part if you can even imagine it), Caleb and the kids took me to Uno Chicago Grill, where I was surprised and blessed over and over again.

Aside from a kick-butt menu (which allowed the girls to build their own pizzas and then have them baked up and served to them), the spectacular service by the waitstaff AND management, and the singing while the many desserts were presented...I was surrounded by 20 of my very favorite people.

As friends and family walked through the doors and sat down, I almost cried. And as I saw everyone talking, laughing, and enjoying some really fine food...my heart swelled to receive such an awesome blessing of these beautiful people in my life. For me, that will always put this memory at the top, and was the best gift of all.

(But...I'm not giving the other very wonderful and thoughtful gifts back )

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes, and blessings that you have posted, and emailed. You are very very kind! Thank you especially to Caleb who was more patient, loving, generous, and kind to me than I ever deserved.

Love.

p.s. I forgot to mention that I heard 4 of my favorite songs as well. 3 at the restaurant, and one leaving the restaurant on the way home...and I ended the evening by finding The Breakfast Club playing on one of the 10,000 channels we have on cable. Seriously. Don't pinch me.

9 Comments:

At 14:31, Blogger fin said...

wow - what an awesome birthday... full of love and shopping - and PINK!

hope it's the start of a bright and blessed year, decade, lifetime!

x

 
At 14:43, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

Thank you fin! There WAS a lot of pink going on. It was kind of surreal.

 
At 16:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had such a great birthday! and I must admit my heart stopped when I saw those chocolate covered raspberry cups...

 
At 17:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Irene...chocolate and raspberry are my absolute favorite combination. Yummy!

Sounds like a lovely, wonderful day. You deserve it!

 
At 17:45, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

Thank you Irene, and lawbrat. I don't know that I exactly deserved such a wonderful day...but I am very very grateful.

 
At 18:42, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

better? no, you are right, it couldn't have been. The crazy thing is that I didn't dream it all up.

 
At 20:34, Blogger Bella said...

Oooh, it sounds like you had a wonderful day. I'm so happy for you!!!

 
At 22:33, Blogger AfricaBleu said...

Yay, what a great, pink day. You deserve it, kid - many happy returns!

 
At 13:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On behalf of Uno Chicago Grill, I am writing to say we are extremely honored to hear you chose to visit our restaurant this year to celebrate your special day! Because you enjoy Uno's so much, we would like to invite you to join the Uno Insider's Club, where you can take advantage of insider-only discounts and promotions and get the inside dish on all things Uno (not to mention you get a free appetizer just for signing up)! Go to www.unos.com to become an exclusive Uno Insider.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home