Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Bouquet of Silverware

I was a bit hesitant to buy my Thanksgiving silverware at the Salvation Army. It was a "what would people think" type of hesitance.

At first, I was going to just pick out completely mismatched pieces. "Ecclectic" I said to myself.

But I am a creature of order, and I know myself well enough that I am unable to do purposeful randomness.

After the first trip out to the thrift store, and sifting through other peoples unwanted silverware, I formulated a more concrete plan for choosing the pieces. Unfortunately, that meant needing to travel to another thrift store to hopefully complete my "set".

The second store was not kind enough to separate the sharp knives from the rest of the silverware, which meant perilous digging on my part. ( would caution anyone trying this out to wear gloves) But I had a certain sense of satisfaction after I found the very last fork I needed.

It wasn't as easy as one would think. I always put more pressure into a thing than necessary. I guess I want everything to have meaning. After finding one, I would say a little prayer to locate the next. It seems silly, but I know it helped.

Each piece of silverware had to have a flower or leaves on it. I have plenty of roses, but I found some pansies, tulips, a few daffodils, as well as a holly sprig. My happiest find was an iced tea spoon with flowers up the length of the handle. I will be keeping my eyes open for a flowered grapefruit spoon.

My set doesn't match, but they have a theme. I wonder if my guests will notice . And to be honest, after my endeavors I don't care. I know that each piece was hand picked.

8 Comments:

At 13:33, Blogger scott said...

So you eschewed Target and bouth cuttlery at the Salvation Army? You could probably get on Oprah for that, if you try.

Hello again, Kassi.

 
At 14:19, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

Hmmm...I doubt Oprah cares about my silverware picking experience. That is why I have a blog. :)

 
At 14:41, Blogger scott said...

But you're the little guy (gal) standing up to the corporate machine for the sake of the charitable organization. I mean, okay, you're not really. You're just trying to get a good price, but Oprah doesn't have to know that. It's all in how you spin it. Work with me here.

 
At 16:10, Blogger Speckledpup said...

sounds cool.
how about plates, did you buy plates too?

 
At 17:27, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

no, my plates are plain white. They go with everything...but that IS a good idea :)

 
At 20:35, Blogger AfricaBleu said...

Bah, Oprah - blech. Sorry, Scott - but Oprah gets on my e-v-e-r-y
l-a-s-t n-e-r-v-e.

Kassi, the silverware sounds darling - I love it! And treasure hunts are always so much fun - what a good memory you will have now - "That was the Thanksgiving I went and picked out all my special silverware!"

Happy Turkey Day, doll.

 
At 22:10, Blogger scott said...

Africableu, if you weren't married, and I wasn't married, I'd ask you to marry just for that one fact right there. I could base a marriage on that.

Me too.

Hello, everyone.

 
At 10:02, Blogger Bella said...

I think what you did was wonderful. These are little details I would notice and probably ask about. But you did a much deeper thing than just pick silverware, you supported the Salvation Army. Have a wonderful, wonderful Thanksgiving!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home