Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Unsure

My second child has always been close to me. She sometimes seems to cling to me, as though the world outside is too scary and unforgiving a place, that she would rather nestle in my presence rather than brave the possibilities.

Then, there are times when she would have nothing to do with me. Preferring to play with her friends. Taking risks, climbing trees and mountains. Leaping without looking.

She has been asking me for several months to homeschool her. Asking.
Her reasons are numerous, but the one that rings out the most is that she doesn't feel comfortable in school.

She has, on a few occasions, forgone going on a field trip in order to stay home. She has on several more occasions pretended to be sick, in order to come home.

I received the familiar call this morning that she is not feeling well, not "herself". So, regardless of the cold, and the fact that I have no car, Kimi and I walked to the school to get Abby. I knew immediately when I saw her that she was not sick.

I'm not mad at her for the lie. I'm concerned for her emotionally. I am concerned for her education.

On one hand I think that she should be socialized and be a part of a classroom. On the other hand, if this continues, her emotions will interfere with her ability to learn.

Homeschooling.

I am not opposed to it. I just don't know enough about it to make a decision. I have started doing my research to figure out if it is a viable option.

In the meantime, I am grasping to find what to do to help this little girl be "comfortable" in this sometimes unforgiving world.

4 Comments:

At 12:58, Blogger SlushTurtle said...

Where I live, there are a lot of homeschool groups that meet so their kids still get the social benefits of school. If you do decide to homeschool, maybe something like that would be good for her.

I was a lot like her. I never fit in. I still don't, but I have come to terms with it. Too bad it took so long! Good luck!

 
At 16:24, Blogger Speckledpup said...

we had no choice with our littlest guy. I think he would have benefitted from homeschooling but we both work.

I would try it, though, if I could and set goals you want to see (socialization wise).
If you don't see them, then try something else at the next school term.
Public school is not for everybody. Homeschooling is not for everybody.

 
At 17:08, Blogger scott said...

I usually avoid giving serious advice, choosing instead to hide my delicate, wounded psyche behind a comforting mask of humor. I have serious and practical experience in this arena, however, so I can tell you this:

If your community has a Homeless School program to educate the children while giving the hobos an outlet for contributing something valuable to society, DO NOT ENROLL YOUR CHILDREN.

Trust me on this. The curriculum stinks. Literally. The principal swore to me that he had a PhD (and that he was Jesus), but I'm pretty sure, looking back, that Wolfie (that's what the cops called him) was lying.

It took me six months to retrain my kindergartener that food goes INTO the trash AND STAYS THERE. It was a nightmare all around, although the free cheese was pretty tasty.

Anyway, for what that's worth.

Hello, kassi.

 
At 17:15, Blogger Chris said...

Hello and nice to meet you! I got your link from over at Kelly Well's blog...as for your post, my son, who is 9, sounds a lot like your daughter. He's in the 4th grade and has 1 more year of 'elementary' school; Then, it's off to 'middle' or 'Jr. High'. This may just be me, but I don't think 6th graders need to be with 7th or 8th graders. He says he's nervous about going with 'big' kids and has asked me to home school him, too, which I just may. A lot to think about, that's for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home