Monday, November 28, 2005

Sometimes I Wonder

Sometimes I wonder if my baby was switched at the hospital.
See here, she is so cute and peaceful.
This is before they took her and placed her in a different room
in order to give me a brief reprieve.
I swear, when I brought her home I worried that she must be someone elses baby.
If it weren't for the fact that we look so much alike,
I would use this excuse to placate me when she colors herself with a dark blue unwashable marker.
Or when she cuts the cats whiskers...
Or when she eats an entire pack of gum...
Or all of my stash of chocolate...
Or when she colors on the walls...
Or when she smacks her brother...
Or when she sits on the dog and won't get up...
Or sneaks a movie instead of going to bed...
Or becomes a spaghetti noodle when trying to dress her...
Or tells me "NO"...
Or calls me "Kassi" instead of "Mamma"...
Or when she refuses to eat anything but marshmallows.
But in the end. If it came down to it. I would claim her over and over again.
Because when she gives me an unsolicited hug and kiss and whispers "I love you mamma" in my ear. And when she asks me to sing "Kwinkle Kwinkle Little Star", or "Rock-a-Bye Baby", she couldn't possibly be anyone's child but mine.
And yes, I still want to eat her cheeks.
3 Days

7 Comments:

At 23:47, Blogger Chris said...

Well said, my friend. The mommy in me completely understands.

 
At 06:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely lovely post.

 
At 09:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. They way our children can capture our hearts is just amazing. I never thought I could love so much.

 
At 13:27, Blogger Bella said...

Very nice - how old is your daughter? Mine is 4 & 1/2 - and can eat marshmallows by the pound.

 
At 13:34, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

My youngest daughter is 3 1/2 years old. Marshmallows are a staple in our household.

 
At 14:25, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

Kelly:

grandbabies!!! I am looking forward to that time as well...it will mean that I will no longer have pangs to have another one of these of my own, yet all the perks.

 
At 01:02, Blogger AfricaBleu said...

Too sweet! Can I have a slice of cheek, too?

Great poem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home