Monday, November 07, 2005

Art Mom

I wasn't exactly sure of myself when I volunteered to be "Art Mom" for Abby's third grade class.

Picking out the subject matter was a little overwhelming. There are so many artists, and so many subjects to choose from, but thankfully the representatives at the Plymouth Community Arts Council were very informative...and helpful.

I chose Ansel Adams because I love his photography.

Of course, loving his work and speaking about it are two different things. I didn't know boo about the guy, only that his black and white photographs move my soul. How do you express that to a group of third graders?

I did as much prep work as time would allow, and on the way to the school, I was able to formulate my approach. Relating how art is an expression, and then how they feel when they create artwork...and then how they feel when they take photos...and then introducing them to a man who made taking photos of what he loves, his life's work.

The kids enjoyed it.

So did I.

I think that next time I will introduce them to Edgar Degas.

2 Comments:

At 17:13, Blogger Bella said...

At least you got signed up for something semi-cool. I'm stuck with fundraising. Yuck!

 
At 17:55, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

I like fundraising as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home