Monday, July 11, 2005

Juni-Mokurei




Caleb, Brian, Kimi and I went to the Plymouth Art Fair. It is here that I was revisited by a memory of having a bonsai tree. I lived in Japan for a year, and I have always been a bit infatuated with the culture.

When we saw that one of the vendors sold bonsai trees, I momentarily angsted for another one. Caleb picked up on it almost immediately and offered that if I wanted one of these exorbitantly priced miniature trees, he would buy one. An hour later [after having some Cold Stone Creamery ice cream] we went back and I picked out this little gem.

When it was paid for, and placed in my hands the name "Juni" popped in my head, but today I was looking over some Japanese words that would adequately describe the little tree...and "mokurei" meaning "silent bow" jumped off the page at me.

So Juni-Mokurei it is.

I do have to admit that I am terrible with plants. I do not know how to take care of them. The fact that my mother has had a plant for 35 years amazes me. Of course, my mother's living room somewhat resembled a green house...making it apparent her love of plants, and her ability to care for them. Unfortunately, it is a knowledge that was not passed down to me. And usually whatever plant I get, usually is dead within 6 months. I apparently have the dreaded black thumb.

Taking on a bonsai tree seems way out of my league, but I will give it a good try. Mainly because after coming home and checking around, I realized how horribly bamboozled we were on the price of this little tree. In retrospect, I should have bartered...I mean it is a street fair after all.

The nice thing is that she sits nicely on my desk, next to the computer...and the window in the back drop only looks out onto a parking lot. So, now I have a tree in which to day dream. I can almost see me perched on a low branch swinging my feet back and forth.

2 Comments:

At 14:48, Blogger AfricaBleu said...

Nice tree, Kassi. Since you like miniture Japanese things, you should check out www.bonsaikitten.com

(It's just a JOKE...)

 
At 16:33, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

Caleb has promised me a kitten at some point this summer. "Bonsai" is now at the top of the list for the name.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home