Thursday, April 21, 2005

By their fruits ye shall know them....

It always amazes me the level of intolerance people display in the name of liberalism.

Many of my friends are liberals, or are on the fence leaning towards liberalism. Whereas, myself and my husband are conservatives. Break it down, they are Democrats, we are Republicans. It makes for interesting get togethers.

My belief is that Democrat or Republican, both sides have a lot to be embarrassed about in regards to supporting their own particular candidates when it comes time to vote. This is because people are human, no one is perfect. You just need to filter through the crap to find the core belief system of the individual so that you can sleep at night knowing that you didn't just put Saddam Hussein in charge of the big red button.

At any rate, I am Republican, because that is how I can sleep at night. Knowing that the person I have put in charge of the country believes that it is inherently wrong to murdalize little babies.

Nevermind the fact that the issues of little babies being murdered has gone to the back burner so far that it is almost a non issue, and in fact abortion rates have risen since our dear president has been in office.

But at least HE the person isn't for it. But that is only one issue...but an issue that is gravely important to me. And being that this is America, and I am allowed my opinion...so eat it.

...anyway, my husband and I try to avoid the topic of politics with our friends as much as possible.

We also try to avoid the topic of religion...which I am finding more and more ludicrous as time progresses, because Caleb and I have some strong feelings about these topics...and it would make sense that we would gravitate towards people of like mind...but we haven't so far.

So avoidance is the game plan. And something that is growing exceedingly more difficult as time goes on.

Why? Becuase many of our friends are not only liberal but outspoken on such topics.

Which to me is perfectly fine. I enjoy hearing their thoughts about world issues, and what they believe is right or wrong. IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME. Is what I am saying.

That is the beauty of America...we are each allowed our own opinion...heck we can make up our own religion without persecution if we want...so why can't my friends air their political views in my living room?
And believe me, they do.

However...I am amazed that the same consideration is not afforded to me and my husband. And that DOES bother me.

This has come up as problematic more than one time during the course of our friendships. And it never fails...whenever either Caleb or I pipe up and speak our opinion it turns into a lynching. Seriously. Grand generalities are being slung around, and then awkward silence, and then on to what we had originally gathered together for...which was NOT to talk about politics or religion.

For instance...it was stated last night, in my living room that Clinton is a Christian.

Albeit, my reaction wasn't very diplomatic [I laughed]...but I hey, it is my opinion that Clinton, at least during his presidential term, was NOT a Christian. He may have reevaluated his values since his term, but I would venture to say that the Clinton that the world knew from 1993-2001 was indeed not Christian.

Now, lets get all up in arms about that. Let's make those grand generalities...

"So what you are saying is that Liberals can't be Christians"

or

"Ohh...so what you are saying is that only REPBULICANS can be Christian"

Okay, let's look at what I really said. I said...CLINTON IS NOT A CHRISTIAN.

Unless you are doing anagrams, jumbling my words will not automatically come up with "Liberals are not Christian".

Even if you are doing an anagram of what I said...it comes up with something like AN ANARCHISTIC LI SNOT TOWN...but definitely not
"Liberals aren't Christian". I am quite sure that there are many liberals who are Christian.

But I will clarify something...just because a person CLAIMS it doesnt' make it so.

I mean...if that were the case, then I guess B.J.'s really don't count.
Which is why today's youth is doing oral sex instead of full on intercourse because well...B.J.'s don't count...right? Thank you Mr. Clinton for using MTV as your political forum.

Anyway, my point is that I have a bit of a problem with public figures crying out that they are Christian...when in fact their actions show otherwise. It is confusing to the rest of us on what Christianity is all about. Because Christianity isn't about doing what you want, it is about doing the right thing according to God. And I don't believe as a Christian or otherwise that Clinton was doing the right thing.

Now...then for most liberals, they will jump in and start bashing Bush. Well...if CLINTON wasn't a Christian...then neither is BUSH.

Oh...now we are changing the subject. I thought we were talking about Clinton's claim to Christianity...so we are playing tit for tat now. Ok.

Well...your opinion that Bush is not a Christian doesn't enflame me nearly as much as my opion that Clinton is not a Christian.

It is OK. You can say that in front of me. Not because I don't have a witty come back...I didn't realize that we were making this personal. But because I doesn't BOTHER ME. Maybe Bush is or maybe Bush isn't. That is between Bush and God. Just as is Clinton's affiliation to Christianity is between Clinton and God.

So, why did I say that about Clinton? Because it worries me that people can take for face value that another person is Christian, defend it adamantly, and ignore the individuals actual works.

I know people who are not in the public eye who say that they are Christian...and who are the most unforgiving, judgemental, and hypocrital people I have ever met. They do not display kindness, honor, integrity, love, gentleness, forgiveness...or any of what God wants from his children.

You will know them by their works. Identifying a person as a Christian and judging are two different things.

I just have to wonder why it is...friends...when introduced to an opinion different that your own...you react with such intolerance, instead of listening...and learning? What enflames you about a person who has a different opinion than your own? I thought that intolerance was a prime identifier of conservatives. However, it looks as though intolerance is rampant in everyone...

Which is probably why, regardless of political alignment, we have the friends that we do. There are truths that run much deeper than whether you are Republican or Democrat. Friendships CAN bridge politics, just as long as everyone in the room is willing.


“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matt 7:15-23)

4 Comments:

At 11:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is a B.J.???

 
At 11:12, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

OH come ON!!!

 
At 11:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if you could tell me... :P

 
At 11:42, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

hmm...I could but wouldn't all that explanation be lost on someone who would never use the knowledge? :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home