Friday, December 09, 2005

Mulling it Over

I am looking at 4 shelves of Mary Kay stock and supplies and I am embarrassed. I have not done a class in over 2 months. And I now know why.

It isn't because I have stopped believing that I can have my own business. Or that I think it is a waste of time. Or that I am just disenchanted with the entire thing. Or that I am just being plain lazy. [ok maybe a little bit of that last one]

I've lost my nerve.

A few months back I had a really horrifying experience with a potential customer/friend. Or at least I thought they were my friend. Which makes the whole scenario even worse.

It is amazing, the way that people communicate. The entire process is complex. And if you aren't careful, you may find yourself listening to someone on the other end of the phone literally screaming their lungs out at you over a misunderstood adjective, never stopping to give you an opportunity to explain. Never giving you the benefit of the doubt. Quite literally calling you everything negative thing under the sun. Diminishing you until you are a weeping mess.

I didn't sign on for that. Especially from someone I considered a friend.

So I stopped.

I had been starting to wonder if I will ever start again.

Then I realized it wasn't me. It wasn't my business. It wasn't anything except my lapse in judgement in who I call "friend".

The experience certainly gave me something to think about. So now that I have...I think it is time to move past this and get back on track.

3 Comments:

At 10:17, Blogger AfricaBleu said...

Yep. Sounds about right. Go for it, girl - it's not you, it's her.

 
At 09:34, Blogger Jill said...

There HAD to have been something more behind her getting that upset. She's one person. Don't let it stop you! Think positive!!

 
At 09:37, Blogger Jill said...

Oh and I meant something more going on with HER, not something you did. Usually when people finally get to that breaking point over something you think is so small, there's most always something WAY bigger lurking on them that causes them to get so bent out of shape. I bet that's probably a lot of what was going on with this lady.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home