Friday, September 30, 2005

Depth of My Paranoia

The other day I was checking my sitemeter, I find it interesting to know where the readers of my little blog come from. Some are from Arkansas, others are from Texas, or Nebraska. Quite a few from Michigan. Mostly people I know. The information sometimes provides the internet provider, or company and for my friends, that is how I can tell if you are checking in on me and making sure I'm still alive...

But the other day, when I checked it I saw one that said Ann Arbor, MI. And the internet service provider was for the company I worked for.

My stomach dropped, and I started to sweat a little. Visions of Dooce danced in my head as I feared that someone from work had been reading my blog. And what if that hangs me in the future...I mean, I was scathingly honest about my feelings on being terminated...

I wondered how someone had found out about my blog, and then I realized that I had looked on my blog...so maybe someone from I.T. had been spying on me...and then they would have found out how many times I checked my personal email and logged on to my college website every day.

Oh my gosh, I'm committing corporate seppuku via internet...

So of course, I took measures to clean out my internet files and deleted the cookies that had been stored.

Then it hit me. ..

I had checked my blog that day. I.T. hadn't been spying at all. And if they were, they didn't care. It was ME the whole time.

And then I realized...what a complete paranoid moron I am, and how a little guilt can go a LONG LONG way.

2 Comments:

At 17:04, Blogger Carbon said...

Sorry to add to your paranoia some more here. But if your computers at work are hooked thru a network, they likely go thru IT anyways. You can delete cookies and history files to your hearts content but they can still check up on you. I know lots of people who work in IT and they really couldn't give a crap what you look at. It's only investigated if you have done something like really big...insider trading, stealing, etc...

 
At 17:22, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

Oh, I know. I worked in IT. but that is my knee-jerk reaction is to clear everything out. It gives me a false sense of security, which you have so kindly shattered. :) Just kidding. It doesn't really matter, because I don't work there any longer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home