Monday, September 26, 2005

Feels Like Fired

Today I was called into my boss's office and informed that someone else was chosen for the position I was filling, and that I would no longer be needed.

I did understand that it was a temporary job. However, it was made pretty clear that it was temporary with a high liklihood to turn permanent. And that at the very least it would be a three months stint. So, I went into it giving it my all. Apparently my all didn't make the cut.

Actually, my all would have made the cut had I not been misled. Someone had been chosen prior to my accepting, and that someone had been waffling on accepting the offer on the table.

If I had known, I wouldn't have rearranged my life in order to take a job that was doomed from the start.

But I didn't know...and I did. And sitting in her office, being told that her EA would be starting in two weeks felt awfully reminiscent of being fired. I've been fired once in my lifetime. Unfairly at that. I was accused of stealing because I was the only Caucasian. 6 months later, they found out that it was one of their own. I received no apology.

She did let me know that they would give me a good reference...Like the 20 days I worked there will even be worth the ink on my resume.

I remained composed for the while, and after I left her office headed straight for the bathroom to cry. I hate crying at work. It sucks so bad. Especially when the only access I have to an enclosed room is shared by toilets.

On the bright side, I have finally got it through my head that I do not want to be an assistant any longer. Not because I find the work unpalatable, but because every single job I have had as an AA has ended badly. I grow tired of being laid off. So ends my illustrious career of administrative assistant work.

They wanted me to stay a few weeks longer, to possibly "transition" the new girl. However, feeling no loyalty whatsoever to my misleading boss, I have decided that it would be in my own best interest to part ways a week earlier and focus on my schoolwork.


9 Comments:

At 20:16, Blogger AfricaBleu said...

That SUCKS. What idiots - they have no idea the talent they are passing up...

Chin up, girl. They're not worthy of you.

 
At 22:41, Blogger SlushTurtle said...

Awww Kassi- I'm so sorry! My heart hurts for you! Bosses suck. Work sucks. Everything sucks... have some more wine! =)

 
At 07:49, Blogger fin said...

I'm sorry for your disappointment... on the silver lining side, you'll have more time for studies now...

 
At 09:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to read about the job situation. Just keep in mind that there will be a better job in your future with supervisors/bosses/etc who value you and who will not mislead you.

Just keep giving it your all and they'll see it. :)

 
At 10:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your job loss, Kassi.

Personally, I would think of it as one of God's little tests. You were able to arrange for Kimi to go to daycare and could (albiet chaotic) cope with a hectic life. Then, you've come to realize what you really want out of a job.

It sounds like you're a quick learner and passed God's little test sooner than anticipated.

Congratulations!
--Kim Rife

 
At 10:42, Blogger Opera Gal said...

welcome to f-ing Michigan - this state has made an economy out letting people ge frm their jobs. We have had the highest unemployment since Oct 2004 in the ENTIRE USA

 
At 16:59, Blogger Carbon said...

How professional!!!! sheesh. I think you are better off.

 
At 08:53, Blogger Kimba said...

That sucks Kassi,but someone who let me crash on her couch once told me God has better things planned for us. It's only uphill from here! Still, I'll keep you in my thoughts.

 
At 13:48, Blogger lawyerchik said...

I'm so sorry! I know it sounds trite and mindless to quote "The Sound of Music" right now, but really: when God closes a door, He always opens a window somewhere!

Good luck with this next phase!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home