Thursday, May 12, 2005

Writing Assignment

This evening my son asked for some help with a writing assignment for his Language Arts class. I don't think he really knew what he was getting into by asking my help...

I tried to be gentle as I explained to him the correct use of punctuation, and how it affects the tone of a story.

I tried to be forgiving of his incomplete sentences.

I tried to be kind when explaining to him that the story in his head is not the story on the paper unless you use all the words to describe your thoughts.

Certainly, I am no expert on writing...not even close. I do believe that writing is important...misspelled words are one of my biggest pet peeves, and I am working to be diligent in the proper use of punctuation.

I believe that this is important because so many people, EDUCATED people no less, are lazy about their written communication. They need to be told that "Spell Check" isn't fool proof.

FRUSTRATION.

I'm not sure that he enjoyed my tutelage. However, I think that we have at least a "B" paper.

Too bad he is turning it in late...we'll have to work on his timeliness...but maybe another day....[irony]

1 Comments:

At 00:06, Blogger SonSon said...

I'm one of those fairly terrible spellers. I guess I don't have a spell check program on my pc either. Sometimes I will check something on dictionary.com but my connection is painfully slow and frankly, I rarely take the time. It's funny cause I was a straight A student in high school but spelling never came to me.

My pet peeve is improper use of words such as was and were, and see and seen. And especially as you said from educated people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home