Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Kimi's Shopping Spree

Yesterday I drove out to pick up my grandma and bring her to my place to have dinner with us. On the way home, we had to stop at the grocery store so that I could buy the food for dinner and pick up some groceries for the week.

Kimi sat in the front part of grandma's cart, and I pushed my own because I didn't want Kimi getting into the food.

Kimi soon learned what it was like to be a little kid and to shop with grandma. She immediately realized that if she shouted out "Gee-MA...APPLES!" or "Gee-MA...BANANAS!" grandma [Gee-Ma] would put some in the cart for her...

She soon discovered that if she stood up in the cart [she isn't too tall to fall out of it] and reached for the boxes of cookies, doughnuts, marshmallows, or whatever else...grandma would let her put it in the cart.

Grandma would give me the same innocent look that she gave my mother when I would do this at the store when we went shopping...the look that said "I don't know...the child is in control, and I'm along for the ride."

The only difference is that I loved that look...it meant that I would get my way regardless of my mother's protests.

Because it brought back such memories, and I fully support the right of a grandparent spoiling their grandchildren...

Kimi had the doubly fortunate experience that I was not going to protest, and grandma had full reign of spoiling her great grandchild. No repercussions.

My cart filled up with items for dinner; fish, fresh vegetables, key lime pie. While grandma's cart filled up with cookies, doughnuts, rice crispy treats, twizzlers, goldfish crackers, and more of Kimi's favorite 'food'.

Kimi was having the time of her life...never before has she been allowed to CHOOSE things...elation!

And while I know that this experience will make shopping with her much more difficult next time, I think that little inconvenience I will encounter next time at Kroger, will be worth the opportunity to have seen my grandmother and my daughter shopping together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home