Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Milestones in Reading

At one point in time I was staunchly loyal to a certain genre of books. I loved horror fiction, just about any author would do...but my main favorite was Stephen King.

I still like his stories, and will visit them from time to time...just for that old familiarity.

However, there was a time in which I went YEARS without picking up a book and reading just for the pleasure of it until 7 months ago.

I suppose that with my unemployed state I must have somehow decided that I should start reading again...especially if I intend to write anything...so I have.

I'm not sure how many books I have read since October, but I do know that the subject matter has been fairly diverse, and this is something that I had always told myself I would do, but never did...until recently.

I had always contemplated reading something new, something different, but never taking that step to invest my time and attention to something that I might not like...and for someone who does not have a lot of time [or energy], it was too much of an investment.

Now I find myself reading books by authors I had never heard of before. I recently finished The Time Traveler's Wife...in the waiting I have Memoirs of a Geisha, Cloud Atlas, and When the Emperor was Divine. I have learned that it is best for me to have a variety to choose from...and see where my mood takes me.

I have also learned that reading has increased my vocabulary, and strengthened how I think and express myself. I actually used the word "laborious" in sentence today.

It's like soaking up rain after a long drought. I wonder how much different I would have been had I been more dedicated to reading during the off season of my life...

I've hit a personal milestone, and that makes me happy...now if I can just traverse my insecurities.

6 Comments:

At 12:34, Blogger AfricaBleu said...

"Memoirs of Geisha" and "When the Emperor was Divine" are two of my recent favorites too. I am going to try the other ones you mentioned because we seem to have similar taste in books.
Have you read "The Secret Life of Bees" and "Cold Sassy Tree?" Different style than the others, but SO good. And "The Joy Luck Club" - anything by Amy Tan is usually breathtaking.

I think the more you read, and the more diverse your reading is, the better a writer you will be. You start to notice the mechanics of the story, as well as just the pure enjoyment. I love Stephen King too - I am reading "Wizards and Glass" again - and this time, I have being paying attention to how King puts the story in all the characters's points-of-view. Tricky thing to do, yet he is a master at it.

 
At 12:38, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

I have not read "The Secret Life of Bees" or "Cold Sassy Tree" I'll check them out and maybe make another purchase after I finish "Cloud Atlas" and "When the Emperor was Divine"...I did thoroughly enjoy "The Joy Luck Club"...and agree Amy Tan is very talented.

 
At 15:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the Secret Lives of Bees if you would like to borrow it.

Ginny

 
At 15:34, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

borrowing is better than buying!

 
At 06:37, Blogger fin said...

I have Cloud Atlas, if you'd like to borrow it... it's a PHENOMENAL read... there were points when I actually shuddered to think how clever David Mitchell really is...

 
At 10:12, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

I actually ordered the book from Amazon.com, they had a copy for $4. I should have asked first, but I read your post about it and decided to get it right away!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home