Monday, March 14, 2005

Papa and The Kim




On April 8, 2005 Caleb and I will have been married for six months. Six months isn’t a particularly significant amount of time in regards to marriage, we’ve vowed to be with each other for the rest of our lives. However at the six month mark, Caleb will finally be allowed to petition the court to adopt Kimi.

There is no question about it for me. She knows him as her Papa. Caleb decided that he didn’t want her to call him “daddy”. But we both didn’t want her to call him “Caleb” when she was learning how to say his name. So, “Papa” stuck.

Will the court allow the adoption? Well, that contingent on whether or not her paternal father contests the petition. Do I think he will? Probably not. He hasn’t seen Kimi since she was 8 months old…much to my relief. I am honestly hoping that the adoption will pass by quickly and uneventfully. However, I can’t allow myself to be too confident.

The passing of her third birthday was a wonderful event, but not without trepidation. I am generally always worried that her paternal father will show up and demand to see her. There is nothing that I can do about it, it is his right. However, during her birthday, I wonder to myself if he is thinking about her more often and if it will prompt some sort of action on his part. Alot can happen in 4 weeks.

Caleb worries as well and in fact had a nightmare about it the night before her birthday. Of course, at the end of his dream he flew out of the window like Superman with Kimi in his arms…

I just hope that no matter what the judge will be able to determine in a few short minutes what I have known for the past 2 and a half years.

They belong together.


Besides, the family courtroom is located on the 12th floor...

1 Comments:

At 08:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet picture! Good for you for capturing that moment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home