Monday, March 21, 2005

All I Want...

Tonight we took the kids to Toys R Us so that they could spend their birthday money. Afterwards, we planned on going to Kohl’s…and if everyone was patient enough with me, we would go to Wendy’s for some Frostys.

In Toys R Us after walking around for an hour helping the kids pick out what they wanted...

Caleb: It's time to go...[impatient]

Me: What's wrong? Did you find anything you want?

Caleb: No...everything is too expensive...

Me: Are you SURE...you always whine that you never get to get anything for yourself...here is your chance.

Caleb: No, I just want a Frosty.

As we are walking to the entrance of Kohl’s…

Son: Mom what are we going here for?

Me: To look at bras…
[understand this is the response that I always give my son whenever he asks where we are going]

Son: Ha Ha mom…no really, why are we going here?

Me: [serious] No really…bras

Son: dang it, I should have waited in the car...

Caleb: So after this we can get a Frosty, right?

My family endured waiting a ½ hour while I tried on these seemingly harmless contraptions. And finally I was able to find three that didn’t feel as though my bunnies were being constricted or twisted into play-doh molds.

This marks Caleb’s first excursion in bra buying. He wasn’t as thrilled as I was, but he was remarkably patient.

At the cash register my son hands me a bottle of water as Caleb wrote a very large check in order to purchase said bras…

Me: Thanks for the water, trying on bras is thirsty work.

Caleb: Just as long as I can get a Frosty…

Cashier: [giggles]

In the car, I forget that my husband is a man, and I am yammering on and on about my new bras and how great they are…and that I was disappointed that I couldn’t find the color that I really wanted…and then I look at his face.

He has a blank stare in his big blue eyes…the one where it looks as though he has lost all cognizance. And I realize that I really need to do this type of shopping with a girlfriend and not my entire family.

Caleb: Frosty?

We drive home in relative silence. Me thinking about my new bras, the kids thinking about their new toys, and Caleb thinking about the Frostys we just picked up at Wendy’s.

4 Comments:

At 07:37, Blogger fin said...

Ugh... bras. I'm going to have to do that shopping trip in a couple of months, I think, and I'm not looking all that very forward to it.

sigh...

 
At 21:37, Blogger Susie said...

Such a slice of family life. Sounds very familiar. I hope Caleb's new job is terrific for all of you:)

 
At 14:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! Oooh! White Castle burgers AND Wendy's frostys!!!

::insert Homer Simpson drooling sound here::

:P

 
At 15:06, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

I will concede to the Wendy's Frosty, but I will not eat at White Castle...*shudder* so you guys will have to swing over to Arby's or something so that I can eat!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home