Thursday, November 10, 2005

Depth Perception

The song compelled me to slow my pace. It was as if it were an introduction, allowing me to see more than my two feet plodding along the cement on my way home. My eyes locked on to what stood before me. A streetlamp brightly lit, with the silhouette of the tree in directly behind it. The clarity of the lamp and the shadow tree standing in stark contrast. The depth of what I saw continued…for behind the tree displayed a backdrop of the autumn night sky…partly dark blue, and the other half formed of grey blue clouds, traveling across the sky with an unknown mission…and still behind the moving wall of clouds, the luminous moon…and so on and so on.

I stood still, the dog whining at my feet wanting me to continue our course home…but I felt so inconceivably minute, and yet so unimaginably significant at the same time. I withdrew into my own smallness; in awe of the indescribable splendor of such darkness and lightness all at once. The cool air awakened my perceptions. There was nothing at all between me and the night sky…I felt so completely pulled into it. As though should I die right then, my soul would take to the clouds, pass the moon onto forever; and that would be just fine. He smiled down on me right then, knowingly, familiar. I had been here before…but such a long time ago, when I didn’t understand. He reminded me that there is so much more than my eye can see…and so much more that my life will be. This is how I know. This is how I always feel when God is near. Like He has taken my hand and revealed a glimpse of the elaborate layers of His majesty…and I have nothing to fear.

I realized in this moment that I had been spending all my life trying to find someone to share these moments of intensity with; someone to understand the infinity that I experience when I look to the vast open sky. But I know now that I don’t have to look anymore. He was sharing it with me all along.

5 Comments:

At 02:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

powerful. so powerful. thanks for sharing.

 
At 09:58, Blogger scott said...

This is why I need an iPod. God and/or Santa, Christmas is very near. Take a hint.

Well said, kassi. Lovely.

And also this: Hello.

 
At 09:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kassi, That was very beautiful.

Love, Erin M.

 
At 11:23, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

Thank you for reading...

I don't always remember these moments, and to be honest I had to sit down to the computer immediately after my walk to write this down so that I could try and capture my feelings...

...I am hoping for an iPod as well... :)

 
At 20:53, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

Sarah! Good to hear from you. send me an email; we can catch up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home