Friday, October 28, 2005

Good News

I don't live in Arizona, but this issue really hit home for me. As a mother of three and advocate of breastfeeding, I support cause for ensuring that mothers should be able to breastfeed thier babies in public without being harassed, ridiculed, or treated like perverse criminals.

I firmly believe that breastfeeding mothers should receive support in their decision to give their babies the healthiest of nourishment. Therefore, I sent in my letter to the Mayor's office in Chandler, Arizona; where this issue had become a heated debate over the summer months.

The results are in:

Dear Kassandra,

Thank you for your email. I will ensure that the Mayor and Council receive a copy of your correspondence.

Last night, the City Council voted unanimously to approve an ordinance stating that: "A mother may breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, where the mother and child are authorized to be."

The City Council also supported a resolution requesting the Arizona legislature to enact legislation that protects a mother's right to breastfeed her child in any location where the mother and child are authorized to be.

The resolution supports an exemption for breastfeeding from the statutes relating to indecent exposure.

Thank you again for your comments.

Sincerely,

Melanie Sala-Friedrichs
City of Chandler - Office of the Mayor & Council MS
603 PO Box 4008
Chandler, AZ
85244-4008
480-782-2246

1 Comments:

At 09:34, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

nipple nipple nipple nippled.

I can't be out-nippled on my own blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home