Sunday, June 19, 2005

Journaling God's Blessings

I was recently given a bit of advice from a youth pastor at my church. He spoke about journaling, and the power it can have on a person's life.

I have used journals, now and in the past, to document some of my deepest feelings. Not all of them being good. And quite honestly...most of what I have journaled has been when I was at my lowest. So, looking back on those times, reading about them can really be upsetting. But I had hoped that writing would lead me to learning more about myself. And it has, but now, my most vivid memories are about the lowest times of my life.

So, I have seen the flaw of journaling when I am at my worst. And quite honestly, it has been a while since I have picked up a pen and wrote in my journal. Of course, this blog has somewhat taken it's place.

However, there is something missing. I was given the answer to what was missing last week at church. Which will require me to form a new habit.

The habit; journaling God's blessings. Big or small, and most of them will be small...

Journal the good things that I have experienced EVERY DAY.

Wow...what a concept. Think about it. What are my blessings? And again they don't have to be "big"....

For instance today; I was able to eat. I have a family. I have a place to sleep. I have electricity. I have clothes. I have clean water. I have a car. We went out to lunch for Father's Day. We were able to buy Caleb's dad a gift. We have Bibles. We are healthy. I have a husband who loves me.

This is in just one day--and this is just skimming the surface of how blessed I have been this day.

If I form the habit of writing down God's blessings in my life every day....I will be able to look back and see the pattern of how wonderfully God works in my life overall...

Then maybe when those times occur when I am at my lowest. I can read how much I have been blessed and be assured that God has it all under control.

3 Comments:

At 06:31, Blogger fin said...

A truly wonderful idea... an ongoing list of thanksgiving!

 
At 08:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't be a bad idea for anyone to do. It's too easy in this country to overlook the good things in our lives and focus on the negative...even though we have it so incredibly good in comparison to other countries.

 
At 14:32, Blogger Kimba said...

I started keeping a "blessings" journal last fall...but I've been bad about doing it lately. Thank you for reminding me that there many little things to be thankful for, and we should keep track of them. Especcially friends!! Thanks!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home