Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Reflection in the Window

~1971, a slip on the ice, or the assault of a young pregnant woman, either way, a little girl is born--one month premature~

I sat in the car waiting for my mom. She went into the party store. It was a nice sunny day. I was half wishing she would bring me back a pop or some candy. We were on our way to grandma’s house. It was Saturday. I was 10 years old.

A man stopped her as she came out of the store. They were talking, but I couldn’t hear what they were saying. He was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. He was thin. He looked at me. I looked away thinking nothing of his gaze.
As my mom drove away she said “that’s your dad”.
I craned my neck looking back to catch another look at him. But no one was there.

Miles away from Michigan, a new life. Two children of my own… “Your real dad tried calling you a long time ago…your step grandparents told him to leave you alone”.

~2001, Fighting, screaming, struggling, then giving up ashamed that the only thing I can do is cry…9 months later my third child is born~


She’s looking out the car window. Her three-year old voice, filled with an exuberance that only young children can achieve, exclaims…. “Daddy”!
I crane my neck to look out the window…no one is there.

****************************************************************************
Each generation has a story, continuing a chain of events called cycles...cycles can be broken...this one has.



2002

Since this photo, there has been a marriage proposal, a wedding, and a promise of adoption.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home