Friday, September 02, 2005

Nice Quiet Evening at Home

After a pretty hectic day of running around I actually arrived home in time to start preparing a hearty Mexican dinner for our dinner guests. The band members had been camping for most of the festival run, so we offered them a dinner and opportunity to shower and do some of their laundry.

I was really looking forward to being able to sit down and relax, maybe be entertained by watching my husband jam with some other musicians.

I should have known by the way that the day had been going, while hectic, nothing was amiss, it was too good to be true. Everything was systematically taking place in a timely manner, which for me is a complete anomoly. I'm always late for something. It never occured to me to have a second thought about how 'well laid out' my hectic day had been.

I love my children, don't get me wrong...but they are so completely accident prone that during the one year stint where we didn't have health insurance, I was a basket case, more so than usual. And oddly enough most of their worst accidents are when we have guests, or when we are at someone else's place.

Zac, a T.V. fell on his head giving him a huge gash.

Abi, a T.V. fell on her fingers, breaking the tip off of her middle finger. [this one really freaked me out]

Now...with that said, I did know that Kimi was due for an accident, so it only makes sense that it would be when we have new dinner guests over...and most certainly when I am fully involved in the kitchen and not watching her like a hawk.

No, this time it did not involve the T.V. directly. She bumped into the entertainment center, and an iron incense burner fell on her head creating a very deep gash. I find it amazing that she would hurt herself with something so completely not related to cutting for how many times I have come downstairs and found that she has cut herself a piece of cake with my largest kitchen knife, a trail of cake crumbs from the kitchen to where she is sitting in the living room in front of the t.v. with frosting all over her face. I DO put the knives up high...she finds a way.

I'm not sure why I didn't freak out this time...maybe head wounds don't bother me as much as finger wounds...but I cleaned her up and stopped the bleeding within about 5 minutes. Then contemplated taking her to the hospital.

15 minutes and one white faced, nearly fainting Caleb later I was in the hospital emergency room with my little snoog, who was running around as though nothing had happened.

Caleb stayed home with our dinner guests and took over grilling up the chicken. Mostly because he hates hospitals, and Kimi's gash really disturbed him.

1 1/2 hours later, with Kimi's head glued together, I returned home...resumed cooking and had dinner on the table by 9:00, not the orgininally intended 7:00.

Afterwards, I served dessert, and baked some home made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for the guys to take back with them.

After the cookies were made I was actually able to sit down and receive a bodhran lesson from Adrian. And found how how bad I really suck. But that's okay at least I know what I'm doing wrong now.

By 10:30, my body decided to settle into the couch a little more and relax, listen to the guys talk about music, and play the X Box. The next thing I knew I was awoken by a good-bye kiss to the forehead and Caleb was sending them away with their cookies and some more of the 'beach cake' I had made earlier. It was 1:00 AM and I missed out on the poker game.

Another day done. Typical.

1 Comments:

At 15:31, Blogger scott said...

After the cookies were made I was actually able to sit down and receive a bodhran lesson from Adrian. And found how how bad I really suck. But that's okay at least I know what I'm doing wrong now.

That's very funny, and well said.

Hello.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home