Friday, September 02, 2005

Denial Discontent Disgust

Yes, my posts have been frivolous as compared to what is going on in New Orleans and Biloxi. I should be writing something more important...but I haven't the words. I can't think of anything to say except what has already been said before. I am feeling utterly helpless, but not hopeless.

And to be honest, I haven't been glued to the T.V. to find out more of what is happening. I don't want to stare at others heartache and devastation like some rubbernecked accident junkie.

Maybe, I believe that the horror of it all will make us stronger as a nation rather than rip us apart in a fury of internal struggles and violence. Maybe I'd like for the bright shiny parts of human nature to emerge instead of the cruel violent parts. This is what I am praying for.

I'd like to see the media cover some of that instead. Sometimes I think that the newspapers and television networks want to keep the American people in a constant state of down and dirty discontent. Certainly there are good things happening as well? Through it all shouldn't we...

reach out and touch somebody's hand...
make this world a better place....
if you can...

All I know is when I picked up the newspaper today and was presented with the image of a crying woman standing near the devastation of where her home once was...I felt like my 'safe world' was crashing down as well. The same feeling I had September 11, 2001.

And as I drove home today, to my nice, safe, warm home...filled with water and food...I felt disgusted with myself for wanting more than I already have.

2 Comments:

At 17:21, Blogger SlushTurtle said...

Good news doesn't sell, I suppose.

 
At 23:38, Blogger AfricaBleu said...

Oh my gosh, Kassi, that's IT in a nutshell! - the very reason I don't ever watch/read/listen to the news - I get SICK of seeing the same five horrific images on every single channel - when we all know good and well that there are thousands of GOOD images of Americans helping one another - sharing their resources - grieving with one another. It is very reminiscent of the war - horrible images of soldiars and civilians dying... but never any stories of the good things that have come out of the war, such as freedom for women from having to wear burkas and freedom from the fear that they will be stoned or raped by a psychotic man and his crazya** sons. And Slushy is on to something - but I would go one step further and say this is typical mainstream media BS - twisting a HORRIBLE tragedy and turning it into an opportunity to blast the President. (As if he has any control over a) NATURAL disasters and b) state issues - such as levees and c) deployment of the national guard).

This whole thing has me bewildered - where is the America of 9/11, whose people stood as one and focused on helping each other instead of pointing their fingers and playing the blame game?

I miss THAT America.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home