Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Not the Narrow

I've been mulling around some topics as of late...a lot to do with my faith. And I am experiencing the dilemma that most Christian/ Republicans face when dealing with social issues. We keep out mouths shut [most of the time], and endure while the Secular/Democratic party bashes us and our ideals left and left.

I think that this is because we know that the immediate response will be to be charged with narrowminded, hypocritical, bigotry. Which is not the truth. Well, at least not the truth in my case.

I think that many people forget that not all Christians are Bible thumpers. Unfortunately, the loudest ones seem like Bible thumpers, which is why the quiet ones like myself get caught up in the same category. To be honest these types of people, overbearing, judgemental, and condemning are what turned me off to Christianity for most of my life.

I've only recently become a Christian.

So, being a baby Christian, I am still able to see the perspectives from the other side of the fence. However, with my newfound insight...I also understand more what God has laid out for us as human beings.

I also accept that I don't have to know everything, if I did...then needing a Savior would be obsolete. And because I'm a sinner, I need a savior.

Anyway...there are many socially acceptable elements to our society that God does not approve of, according to His word [The Bible]. Socially acceptable means that we as human beings have accepted it into our lives, and don't see anything inherently wrong with it, because a. it isn't hurting anyone, and b. it isn't hurting me personally.

But we don't know that for sure. Only God knows. Maybe that is why the Bible outlines many things as being a sin, or wrong, or whatever. He might know what He is doing...He is God afterall.

That doesn't mean I have to like it. In fact, chances are I'm not going to like it. I'm a sinner too...that means there is a good chance I've done something that God doesn't like, that He has expressly forbidden, and has outlined as such in said Bible. And trust me I certainly HAVE.

It sucks. I know.

But that is where forgiveness comes into play. God does love us unconditionally. Of course He does. He also knows we are going to screw up. But the point of that is we strive to be like Christ...the only perfect one to ever walk the earth. It's a long hard road. We won't succeed. But if you take up the mantle of being a Christian and recognize the need of your Savior...there is a good chance that you will be a lot closer than if you had not tried at all.

Anyway, yeah, I'm a Christian and a Republican. Why throw Republican in there? In case you hadn't noticed I won't support a party that supports the 'right' to kill babies under ANY circumstances. Just my p.o.v.

I also won't support a party whose intrinsic public platform is to enable people not empower them. Again, my p.o.v.

And since I'm entitled to those beliefs...I thought that for once I would air them out...regardless of how non-socially acceptable they may be.

1 Comments:

At 08:48, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

I like your criteria for speaking up and saying something. I will keep that in mind for the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home