Friday, February 25, 2005

A bit on blogging

I am rather new to the phenomenon of blogging, and most likely I will probably revamp my blog and do something different at some point. Like I stated before this is a trial run.

I didn't really get into reading blogs until about 2 months ago. A friend introduced me to Dooce.com and I started reading about her life adventures, thoughts and etc. from that day forward. Then I started to become a little adventurous and looked up some other blogs. I have found a few so far that keep me interested in coming back for more: Scott C. [of course] Brando and La Coquette to name a few.

Some get more traffic than others, but I read them for different reasons. Scott's I read so that I can keep up on my friends life, because the phone is a hassle. Brandon, is just a very intelligent and funny writer. I like his style. La Coquette, she lives in France--how cool is that?

What I am writing about now is that somehow in the nooks and crannies of the internet, I have found real people with real lives and stories...that are INTERESTING. What is more interesting [to me anyway] is that their lives aren't really much different than my own. We all go through crap, and we all survive. I wish I could be more eloquent in what I am trying to say...however plainly...I am enjoying this much more than I thought I would.

I don't get very many comments on my posts...and most are from people I know. That is okay with me. The extras that I get are pleasant surprises. However, I just want to reiterate that this blog is an outlet to share my thoughts...just like EVERYONE elses blog. And man...are there A LOT of thoughts out there. Yet, in truth...no ones drama is any more or less than the next persons. We just experience different things at different levels at different times of our lives. But we are all struggling to be heard, understood, accepted-whatever.

The internet has allowed for the next level of sharing those struggles. Sure, newspapers, journals and magazines provide us with a wealth of information, but those are filters. As long as there is an interviewer, the real story isn't there.

I was in a class recently where one of my fellow students spoke out emphatically against globalization. And I didn't get why they were so against it. I suppose if you look at it on the surface, all you are seeing is the possibility of cultures being wiped out and everything becoming the same. However, I do not see it that way. Globalization [to me] means the potential for a coming together of nations...in ways that connect us as human beings...and when there is connection...and the ability to identify...there is room for empathy.

My point of bringing that up is because the blogging community, regardless if that is the intent...is another venue for a coming together of many different people. Sharing stories has been practiced since the beginning of man. Storytelling is an integral part of human culture...it is interesting to see that whether we only have sticks and mud, or complex pieces of technology...humans are driven to share what they have experienced.

Ok...insightful interlude over...the two-year-old is up and looking for me...must feed the monster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home