Sunday, February 13, 2005

Sunday Night Reflections

This weekend was actually pretty good. Friday night we watched "The Manchurian Candidate" with Denzel Washington. It was an excellent movie. Mr. Washington gave another fantabulous performance...of course.

Saturday started out slow. I of course, was writing about my daughter's potty training exploits, but after that I did my homework...which took me most of the day. I receieved an IM from my sister in law [Rochelle] to go out dancing that night. So, I gave a tentative yes. I had homework to finish [Accounting homework]...and I would have to clean the house before I could approach my husband about watching the monsters so that I could go out dancing.

There was more to my tentative "yes" though. I was apprehensive about going out. I haven't been out in a LONG time, and certainly not out dancing...where the club is filled with trolling males and half dressed females.

The last time I went dancing was over a year ago, with my then fiance. It was for a friends birthday, and we had a ton of fun. But I hadn't given any thought to going to a club to dance without Caleb [my husband].

At any rate, I felt a little nervous. I wondered if this is what I really wanted to do, go back to that scene and be around that element. I haven't had very much luck going to clubs and bars to go dancing. Luck as in---being left alone to just enjoy myself and dance. No...I usually attract the dumbest, most ugly of the trolls who never seems to understand "leave me alone". Which has ended me up in a bar fight...with a guy. So....yeah.

But I wanted to dance. I love to dance. I actually think I am a pretty good dancer--for a white chick. At least I have been told that...but I know people just say nice things, and I could really look like Elaine from Seinfeld when I hit the floor. [which would explain the stares] Oh well, I don't care.

So my desire to go dancing won out on my trepidition. Besides, my brother is a bouncer at the club we were planning to go to, and I knew that would make me feel a little bit safer.It was a little slow at first. Though I know that the DJ's are suppose to play crappy music at first so that the patrons will spend their money on drinks. That is how the clubs make their revenue...duh!

So we endured the bad music and hung back for a bit. I told Caleb that I wouldn't drink, but the vanilla martini was too tempting. So I had some...but it was of course too strong. [I don't drink very often, if at all--not like I used to, so I have a very very low tolerance]. The three sips I did have were good enough to make the music palatable so we ventured forth to hit the floor.

Exhilerating.

My only bad encounter was this guy who wanted to dance too close...I pushed him back away from me to a more comfortable range...and then he moved in again...so I pushed him back again. He says "So what are you shy?" I said "No, I just don't want you to touch me"...thankfully he moved on to troll somewhere else.

The last time I had that encounter with a guy at a bar...he grabbed my arm and twisted it, while yelling vulgarities in my face...so... I punched him in the face. Then he punched me in the face back.
I fell back cracked my head on the floor, and ended up with a black eye and a headache. Not the best way to end a night.

I love to dance, but I hate the fact that there are so few places to go and enjoy the dancing without the alcohol and idiots.

Towards the end of the night, I ended up in a dance circle with a bunch of people who were semi competing. It was so cool. One of them was letting me learn moves off of him. I enjoyed it so much because for these guys dancing came first, and picking up women second. We never exchanged a word, but they had a good laugh at the white chick trying to copy them.I got home very very late...[early]. And it was so good to be home.

I love to dance, because I love music so much. But coming home to my sleeping family curled up on the floor because they were waiting for me...I love that more.



Zonked Out

1 Comments:

At 10:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever think of taking swing/ballroom/whatever dancing lessons with Caleb? Get him in on the dance scene?? :)

As for the picture, I have to say just one thing - "Awwwwwwww!" :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home