Friday, February 11, 2005

The Ink He Likes to Drink is Pink

Tonight I had Abi read a book to me, she picked "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish" by Dr. Seuss. As she read, and showed me the pictures, I experienced the same mix of fascination and unease that I did as a child.

Dr. Seuss books are bizarre. The creatures on those pages are not of this world...and quite frankly...I hope that I never have to sleep with a zeep, find a wocket in my pocket, a zug under my rug a geeling on my ceiling, or a jurtain behind the curtain. [I'm sure I butchered the proper names for these beasts]

By far "There's a Wocket in My Pocket" frightened me the most...which is probably why I read it so often. I wanted to make sure I knew the names of the bogies that were going to come and get me in the night. I need to make a mental note to look deeper into Dr. Seuss' writing, as I am sure that there are significant world view meanings hidden within those verses.

"Today is gone. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one. Everyday, from here to there, funny things are everywhere" (Dr. Seuss, 1960)

3 Comments:

At 02:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a Scott in your lot???

 
At 10:51, Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

On our rug we have a spot,
On the spot we have a Scott.

A Scott for spots is very good
Have you a Scott for spots?
You should.

 
At 07:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you're GOOD!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home